Supporting your child to prepare for their transition into Year One
When the children move on from Reception into Year One, we aim to have taught them certain Maths Skills that will support them with their transition.
During these unprecedented times, whether your child has been in school or you have been helping them at home, all of our pupils will have had different experiences. September will be another different experience for them as they have been unable to visit classrooms and meet their new teachers yet.
If you are able to support your child with home schooling, we have compiled a list of Maths Skills that would help them as they move into Year One, however, please do not worry if your child has any difficulty with any of these tasks, we will be working on them in September.
- to count forwards and backwards to 20, from any given number.
- to recognise the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
- to order 0-20
- to say what is one more or one less than a number between 0-20
- to add and subtract two numbers, with the answer being within 0-20. They can use objects, or count on/back
- to know how to find double or half of a number 0-20.
- to recognise, name and describe : square, triangle, rectangle, oval, star, heart, circle
- to continue a pattern, i.e. draw : red circle, yellow circle, red circle, whats next?
- to talk about time, i.e. yesterday I ….., tomorrow i will ……
- to compare objects or order objects by weight or size
- to talk about capacity, money, distance and position
- i.e. my cup is half full
- recognising coins/playing shops
- how many steps away is the door?
- where is the teddy? under, above, next to, in front of, behind, etc